Global clean energy solutions provider Gentari is committed to doing our part in solving the world’s most pressing sustainable energy needs: to change how we live today and help secure a better future, focusing on three key business pillars of Renewable Energy, Hydrogen and Green Mobility.
Gentari Australia, formerly Wirsol Energy, is amongst the leading players in the Renewable Energy sector in the Australian market, specialising in development, construction, asset management and maintenance of renewable energy projects across the country. Our growing portfolio comprises of solar & battery energy storage (BESS) across New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland
Helmed by a local team with deep understanding of the Australian energy landscape and supported by a leadership team with global energy expertise and a comprehensive portfolio built on innovation and growth, we are accelerating the transition to a more sustainable future, with benefits for all.
The Head of Technology/Engineering will play a crucial role in advancing Gentari’s position as a key player in the renewable energy market in Australia. The role encompasses leadership, strategy development, and technical expertise, ensuring the successful execution of projects and continuous innovation in our solutions. The successful candidate will lead a team of engineers, working collaboratively with development, construction, operations and asset management teams to ensure that we are delivering solar and storage projects with the highest standards of quality, performance, and efficiency.
- Build the Gentari technical team: Currently we have engineering capabilities within the development, O&M and Asset Management teams however the technical team will be the go-to for all major engineering issues, tasks and decisions. You will be responsible for recruiting, and developing a high performing engineering team including grid, solar and storage expertise.
- Development – Technology selection and early-stage design: Develop and execute a technology/engineering strategy aligned with Gentari’s business objectives, focusing on innovation, cost-efficiency, and performance optimization of utility-scale solar and energy storage solutions.
- Acquisitions or Financial Close – point of contact for any technical due diligence required for internally financing projects or as part of the acquisition process for obtaining new projects.
- Operational Assets – optimisation, repairs and plant performance: Provide engineering support to the O&M site managers for operational plants including defining and managing any large rectification projects. Provide input into the Asset Management team regarding plant performance and any optimisation that can be made.
- Construction projects – engineering support and design review: Be heavily involved defining the scope of EPC and other contracts for the construction, in the selection of the EPC contractors and equipment suppliers, management of Owner’s Engineer scope and output. Ensuring that the quality of the projects is upheld and assisting the construction team with the management of the EPC and equipment contracts.
- Leadership: Provide leadership and direction to the technology team, fostering a culture of innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement. Be part of the Leadership Team of Gentari Solar Australia, collaborating with the CEO and other heads of department to ensure a collaborative environment within Gentari Australia and with HQ in Kuala Lumpur and other countries.
- Technical Excellence: Ensure technical excellence across all aspects of project development, construction, and operation, utilizing the latest advancements in renewable energy technology.
- Optimise technical processes in Australia and globally: input into the Project Handbook and other processes, including liaising with the Global Technical Solutions team in KL.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders, including project managers, finance teams, and senior leadership, to align technology and engineering initiatives with overall business goals.
- External Partnerships: Build and maintain strategic relationships with external partners, technology vendors, research institutions, and regulatory bodies to stay at the forefront of industry developments and drive innovation.
- Risk Management: Identify potential technical and engineering risks and develop mitigation strategies to ensure project success and operational stability.
- Team Development: Lead and develop direct reports through mentoring, fostering a culture of growth and excellence.
- Regulatory Compliance: Stay updated on relevant regulations, standards, and policies related to renewable energy projects and ensure compliance throughout all stages of project development.
Skills and experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, Renewable Energy, or related field.
- Proven experience in a leadership role within the renewable energy sector, preferably with a focus on utility-scale solar and energy storage projects.
- Strong technical background in solar PV, energy storage systems, and related technologies.
- In-depth understanding of project development, engineering design, construction, and operational aspects of renewable energy projects.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully leading cross-functional teams and driving technology innovation.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, and experience growing and mentoring a team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities, with the ability to navigate complex technical challenges.
- Solid understanding of the Australian renewable energy regulations and policies.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining high-quality standards.
- A commitment to sustainability and a passion for driving the transition to renewable energy.
- Willingness to travel to project sites and meet with stakeholders as required
- Ability to work to your own initiative / self-motivated.
- Current Australian driver’s licence.